Thursday, September 26, 2013

What is good food?

Blog post #2 finally If you read my last post, you know that I enjoy food! I was going to write "I enjoy good food," and it got me thinking about definitions. The word 'good' itself can mean so many things. Some things taste really good but as I eat them, I'm pretty sure I can feel my artery walls slamming shut. 'Good' can also mean healthful, tasty food. There's not much better than a piece of wild salmon just off the grill, caught earlier in the day by my five year old son while both grandpas cheered him on, paired with a fresh garden salad containing more than 6 kinds of fresh veggies, along with a small handful of toasted hazelnuts and a small amount of dressing. Yes I said dressing! If the latest diet craze has you thinking once again that you must avoid all fat and eat that pile of plain yard, like a bunny, leaving you feeling like a deprived, food martyr who must suffer through another bout of veggie torture, then again run the other way. Fat helps with flavor, no way around it. Just take some time to think and educate yourself on exactly what fat you are using and how much. Hoping that my son can kick the Hidden Valley Ranch habit soon, but for now I will continue to buy stock in the parent company as he dredges more food items than I care to list through the stuff. I know we all have different tastes and each of us have likes and dislikes but, when I have recently heard adults say they do not like any vegetables and in the same breath are complaining about their health and blood test numbers I can't help but to scratch my head. If I only ate what I thought tasted the best I would hire a great pastry chef, make them live in my kitchen and turn out Boston cream filled donuts! Those things are amazing! My point is that all food has its place, if you are at a point in life where are not happy with your energy level, body composition, sports performance, etc you may just want to take a look at your plate, and the snacks in between, but that post is for another day.

2 comments:

  1. Well said. Food is so hard to do well in the course of a busy, busy day. I come home from work and just want to get a meal together quickly and easily. So we make lots of compromises - frozen veggies, bag salad, dressing, etc. All in moderation, right?

    At my daughter's school, kids must have 3 different food groups on their plate to buy hot lunch.

    ReplyDelete